10 Things (Moving Day Edition!)
I've been looking forward to sitting and writing all week long! Probably because I don't think I've sat down much this week and sitting with my computer and a glass of wine after my babies are all asleep is like the ultimate treat for me.
Here are '10 Things' on my mind, and the second time I've done this sort of blog post, inspired by The Barefoot Blonde. I have so many ideas right now and topics I want to write about, but as I sat here trying to write, I just keep spacing out. Maybe it's the cold that blew through the house and didn't even try to miss me, maybe it's because 'Naked and Afraid' is on in the background and it's so good, or maybe it's that we're moving in literally one day. Thank you so much, as always, for the <3 and support! XOXO, Mandy
- Saying goodbye is SO HARD. We're coming back to Los Angeles for a few weeks in December so I've sort of put a stop on the goodbyes for now. It's really emotionally draining to keep doing it over and over again. Plus the logistics of the move. This is a boundary that in the past I probably would've bent over backward to meet friends here or there, but I have to do what's best for my family and me right now, that's being home for our last couple of LA days and finalizing all of our details for the big move! There are WAY more than I anticipated.
- I loved Mamma Mia, Here We Go Again! I was telling someone "I laughed, I cried!" and Matt was like "You really cried more than you laughed". Something about those Mamma Mia movies really get me!
- Laundry is no joke. On my insta stories this week, I put a picture of a magazine I was reading that said the average household has six loads of laundry per week. Um...tell me how you do this magic. We're more like 15-20 loads/week. I don't even mind washing and folding...it's putting it away that's so hard to keep up with. I'm trying to wash everything before we leave, but at some point, I'm just going to have to say 'these towels and clothes will be in the dirty laundry moving box' and deal with the mold or whatever as the aftermath. Eek!
- We're road tripping! I swore up and down that I'd never road trip (imagine a 90s movie about awful road trips and that was my childhood experience), but we've decided to drive because our dogs are really just too old to go under a plane. So we're doing LA > Vegas > Sedona, AZ > Santa Fe, NM > Lubbock, TX, > Austin. If you have any tips for what we should see and do along the way, let me know!
- I'm really excited to go back to school shopping with my kids. Scarlet was in private school in LA and now that she won't need uniforms, I'm really looking forward to taking her shopping. Sterling (and Shepherd) still let me be their stylist, so I basically just have them match because it's SO CUTE and they don't care to object yet.
- I keep a journal. I do 'The 5 Minute Journal'. Thomas Edison said "Never go to sleep without a request to your sub-conscience" and this journal hits the majors: gratitude, intention, and reflection.
- We got a new car! I want to make a video with the kids to Macklemore's White Walls and have the kids in the car and me rapping, HA! We got a new Escalade because honestly, any other sized car, even with three rows leaves poor Scarlet either climbing in the trunk or over the second row. "I wanna be free. I wanna just live. Up in my Cadillac. That is my ish". I'm already thinking about what I can rhyme with "spilled smoothie".
- Every time my kids tell me they don't wanna brush their teeth, I get that. It sucks. I don't want to either. But you've got to, cause if you don't, you wake up in the middle of the night knowing, just knowing your teeth feel gross. HA. So which are you? The 'Go Brush em' type or the 'Wait til morning' crew?
- I'm about to start packing for 10 days. TEN DAYS. For three kids, two adults and a sheltie and a poodle. I'm usually so organized about it, but I feel like with everything else that needs to be done, ultimately, this doesn't matter that much. If I have to, I'll get laundry done at our hotels, buy whatever I forget at the town Target or whatever, and have peace with knowing it'll all come back together when we're all settled in our beautiful new home.
- I've been really trying to cut back on my iPhone time. I'm consciously deleting apps that I don't use, or don't make me happy (no more FB on my phone), and making sure to put it down in another room when I'm hanging out with the kids and not feeling pressured to write back on a time frame. There are so many perks to having it, but I want to have a good balance with my use of it.
That's it from me for the week! I'm going to do my best to document our 20-hour drive from LA to Austin that we're breaking up into a six-day trip, then three days in a hotel in Austin while we move in and get ourselves set up. So many of my friends have told me I have to I think because they know it's going to be hilarious, fancy, messy and exhasting all at the same damn time. I post a little more frequently on Insta than on here, so you can follow along there, too, if you'd like!
Here are a few pics from the days leading up to our move! We love you, LA friends + Fam!
Recent Articles <3 And the daily(ish) on Instagram