Ain't No Party Like a Homegrown Party. Back to Basics for an Easy Kid Party
As a mama of three little kids, I've thrown my share of big-ol' birthday parties. My husband and I love to host and I'd guess we've thrown 11 or 12 of those kid-parties where you invite the whole class, their parents, the siblings, the neighbors, the family friends and the family friend's grandma, cause she's in town and we <3 her, too. It's so nice to keep families together on the weekends and we always appreciate the "sibling's welcome" note when it's our turn to attend a kid-party.
But the simplicity of the homegrown party we recently threw for our little girl made me feel like the end of yoga class when the instructor is like: "you've arrived." It was so.much.easier.
After all these years of having the whole class, etc., I think our daughter is at an age where she can have just a few close friends and keep it simple. For her seventh birthday, Scarlet wanted an “American Girl Dance Party”, a homemade Funfetti cake, and a couple of girlfriends to come over and "do hair". I mean, she also wanted a weekend at Disneyland, so this little party was the perfect budget compromise.
Here's what we did:
Food. Scarlet LOVES to make guacamole. So we made her Nana's recipe (see below), and served it with lime tortilla chips. We ordered pizza for the girls and served water and juice. We also made four little "watermelon bowls", where we scooped out the watermelon and used them as the serving bowls for blueberries, mango, cantaloupe, and mango.
Cake. We bought two boxes of Funfetti cake mix and icing and made a three layer cake. Scarlet decorated it and loved taking part.
Decorations: American Girl decorations are impossible to find! Scarlet took pictures of "hairstyles" she had done to on her dolls, and we printed them and made them into a sort of menu (a la Drybar) on posterboard. Then, we used pink and gold table covers and balloons and picked up pink roses from Trader Joe's. A friend of ours made the pretty decorations (pictured above) with the American Girl star and Scarlet's name.
Entertainment. We had our favorite DJ come. She took requests, let the girls sing a little karaoke and did a few games. They LOVED it.
While the dance party was going on, our babysitter was helping the girls with hairstyles for themselves and their dolls. Scarlet was also a stylist. She had so much fun having a job to do at her own party.
Party Favors. The party favors included everything each girl would need to have her hair (and her dolly's) hair done. A little compact brush, bobby pins, hair ties and a little spray bottle for water.
(Scale up for larger parties. We used 4 avocado, and doubled the recipe)
Chopped onon (omit for kids. We sometimes substitute with green onion which is more mild)
Nana’s Secret Sauce (aka 1 dash of Tobasco)
1 Roma tomato, chopped
Small bunch of cilatro, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Peel and core the avocado and mash the meat with a fork, add the ingredients (it always needs more salt at the end) and you have Nana’s homemade guacamole. I like to serve with either organic blue or white corn tortilla chips, or go in a whole different direction and use the lime tortilla chips. So yummy! Want more of Nana's recipes and hosting ideas? Here ya go!
Kick back and stay a while! Check out the archives below:
- Apr 18, 2018 Secret Sauce to Happy: Enjoy the Ride (and the wait) Apr 18, 2018
- Apr 10, 2018 Our Staycation in Laguna! Apr 10, 2018
- Apr 1, 2018 I May Have Given My Daughter A Gender Superiority Complex. Apr 1, 2018
- Mar 19, 2018 5 Steps to Parent Like a Grandparent Mar 19, 2018
- Mar 12, 2018 "Have YOU Seen Mommy Bunny?" Mar 12, 2018
- Mar 5, 2018 A Six-Week Fitness Challenge I Didn't Have Time For. Here's What Happened. Mar 5, 2018
- Feb 26, 2018 Play On, Playroom (No Diggity, No Doubt) Feb 26, 2018
- Feb 18, 2018 Junk in the Trunk. I Mean, My Purse. All the Contents of My Bag Today Feb 18, 2018
- Feb 13, 2018 Valentines Photo Shoot! Feb 13, 2018
- Feb 12, 2018 Your Best Skin Now. Tips from LA's Fave Aesthetician, Ricki Criswell Feb 12, 2018
- Feb 5, 2018 Why Valentine's Day Might Be the Perfect "Holiday" Feb 5, 2018
- Jan 31, 2018 Poof, Bye January! Jan 31, 2018
- Jan 24, 2018 The Flu, the Shot and The Takeaway: A Special Report and Q+A with Veteran Pediatrician, Dr. Nancy Zimble Jan 24, 2018
- Jan 22, 2018 Where to Find the Cutest Kids' Clothes for LA Winters Jan 22, 2018
- Jan 11, 2018 Our Family Trip to Universal! All of Our Faves Jan 11, 2018
- Jan 4, 2018 Where the Fudge is My Village? Jan 4, 2018
- Dec 21, 2017 Whatcha Tipping for the Holidays? Dec 21, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Getting into the Holiday Spirit with The Lythgoe Family's "Beauty and The Beast : The Christmas Rose" Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Getting Hygge With It (Na na na na na na na. Na na na na na na). Dec 7, 2017
- Dec 1, 2017 'Let it Snow' at The Four Seasons Westlake Village! Dec 1, 2017
- November 2017
- Oct 19, 2017 Got Mom Guilt? Oct 19, 2017
- Oct 13, 2017 34. Oct 13, 2017
- Oct 5, 2017 Ain't No Party Like a Homegrown Party. Back to Basics for an Easy Kid Party Oct 5, 2017
- Sep 29, 2017 Polite as What? Sep 29, 2017
- Sep 21, 2017 How to Do Disneyland Like a Diva (Minus the VIP Tour) Sep 21, 2017
- Sep 12, 2017 When Your Housekeeper Wears the Pants in the Family. Literally. Sep 12, 2017
- Sep 6, 2017 Mama's, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be President (and Other Things We Can Teach Our Children About *&^%$# People) Sep 6, 2017
- Aug 31, 2017 Icebergs, Glaciers and Sippy Cups: Our 10 day Vancouver and Alaska Trip Aug 31, 2017
- Aug 16, 2017 My Mommy Confession: I Cook More Entrees for Dinner than an LA Jewish Deli Aug 16, 2017
- Aug 10, 2017 The Perfect Baby Gift! Aug 10, 2017
- Aug 9, 2017 Summer at "Camp Mommy" Aug 9, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 How to Choose the Best Preschool for Your Child Aug 3, 2017
- Jul 27, 2017 Having Your Back is My Fave. But I'll Teach You to Have Your Own, Too. Jul 27, 2017
- Jul 20, 2017 Body After Baby + Breastfeeding Jul 20, 2017
- Jul 13, 2017 Baking Blackberry Pie: A Story of Loss and Keeping Memories Alive Jul 13, 2017
- Jul 6, 2017 I Take My Shirt Off at Yoga Because it's Hot Jul 6, 2017
- Jun 29, 2017 My Daughter isn't Going to Be a Gymnast (and that's Okay with Me) Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 29, 2017 Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know About Mommy + Me Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 22, 2017 The Balance of Friendship when You Have Little Kids Jun 22, 2017
- Jun 16, 2017 Ideas for a Sweet 1st Birthday Party (that will entertain big kids and grown ups, too!) Jun 16, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Travel Days: What to Bring to Entertain Your Baby + Kids for Cars, Planes + Dinners Out Jun 12, 2017
- Jun 8, 2017 Manscaping From the Neck Up. An Interview with LA's Top Barber, Felix Omar Jun 8, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Eyebrows. Are Yours Stuck in the Wrong Decade? Jun 6, 2017
- May 29, 2017 A Letter to My Last Baby (On His First Birthday) May 29, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Super Fast Beachy Waves | 3 Video Tutorials for 3 Days of Easy, Everyday Hair May 25, 2017
- May 18, 2017 In the Closet with Gili Niv May 18, 2017
- May 9, 2017 The Best Mom-pliment this Mother's Day May 9, 2017
- May 7, 2017 Host + Enjoy - An Easy Peasy Brunch May 7, 2017
- May 5, 2017 How to Trim Your Busy Baby's Nails May 5, 2017
- May 1, 2017 5 Tips for A Pinterest-Worthy Pantry May 1, 2017
- Apr 27, 2017 Txt Me, Txt Me Not Apr 27, 2017
- Apr 23, 2017 10 Tips to Enjoy Your First Getaway After Baby! Apr 23, 2017
- Apr 10, 2017 Mommy Wanderlust + Travel with Littles Apr 10, 2017
- Apr 9, 2017 I like to call my look "Put Together-Ish" (Super-fast Makeup + My First Video Blog!) Apr 9, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 My Hair is Dirty AF (and Better Than Ever) Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 A Note on Gratitude + Balance Apr 4, 2017
- Mar 27, 2017 RSVP 💌 (if you're ready to open it, you're ready to respond) Mar 27, 2017
- Mar 20, 2017 OMG, my FB feed is my Insta's Twin Mar 20, 2017
- Mar 12, 2017 Tips to Giving a Meaningful Kid-Gift Mar 12, 2017
- Mar 1, 2017 Every Super Hero has Their Kryponite (and other reasons we left our kid's pre-school mid-year) Mar 1, 2017
- Mar 1, 2017 Politeness + Pregnancy (Are there twins in there?) Mar 1, 2017
Follow along with Polite AF on the daily here!